Anyone following the Occupy Movement knows that it’s actually hard to follow all of the Occupy updates. Occupationalist is a new site that is part social aggregator, part media hub for all things #occupy.
The populist protest movement sprung up around Occupy Wall Street, which saw scores of New Yorkers stage a peaceful protest against banks and big money. That spark ignited a series of similar protests across the U.S. and world. It has been difficult, however, to keep an accurate account of what’s happening with the movement at any given moment. This is partly due to Occupy’s tremendous size but also hit-and-miss media coverage.
Occupationalist, built by Boulder Digital Works, is trying to make is easier to find and share news and media about what’s happening in the movement both for those involved and those on the digital sidelines.
The site purports to be by and for the “99%” — the nickname given to the protesters who are said to be at odds with the “1%” or hyper-rich. Occupationalist features a slew of Twitter news feeds and RSS readers for U.S.-based protests as well as a meetup board, Foursquare checkin heat map and a wall of hand-written notes from protests and supporters that is updated every day.
All of the site’s content is being pulled from the social web, including more than 15 topical hashtags, Google images and videos, the Occupy Wall Street blog and relevant headlines from the media. It’s unclear if the Occupationalist team is actually participating in the protests, but the site seems to be a trove of unfiltered Occupy information. As the site claims: “Occupationalist is an impartial and real-time view of the Occupy Wall Street movement. Covering history as it unfolds. No filters. No delays.”
What do you make of the Occupationalist? Do you think a site like this will help or hinder the movement’s growth?